Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Wedding Soup - the Low Carb Way

Who doesn't like soup on cold, dreary days? I know that I do.

I love Italian wedding soup. Unfortunately the original version of this soup is full of carbs. I found a recipe for a low carb version that is super delicious and very filling. The best part is that you can make this soup with little ingredients and little cooking time so that means you can have a hearty soup at any time. The aroma from this soup will make you want to eat dinner! MMM! I wish that you could smell it. I served cheese crisps to go with it...a nice replacement for bread or crackers. (recipe for crisps below)



Low Carb Italian Wedding Soup
taken from Saving Dinner the Low-Carb Way

serves 4 very small servings - more like 2 servings
in my opinion.

1/2 lb Italian sausage - casings removed - watch carbs!
I found a ground hot sausage with only 2 carbs and only
natural sugars - no sugars added
1 small onion, diced - I left it out
2 cloves garlic, pressed - I used 2 big tsp. minced garlic
2 C. kale, chopped and big stems removed
1 - 14 1/2 oz can chicken broth
2 baby zucchini, chopped
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp marjoram - I subbed 1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt - I left it out
dash red pepper flakes to taste

In a large, heavy sauce pan brown sausage over med. high heat. Stir in onion & garlic; cook and stir until soft, about 2 minutes. Add kale and cook another 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for about 8 - 10 minutes. Soup should be quite thick.



The recipes says to serve with a green salad. I had a bigger portion of soup and skipped the salad. I made small cheese crisps to go along with it and that was enough to fill me up.

Leftovers can be stored in the frig or frozen.

11 carbs - 6 dietary fiber = 5 usable carbs


Cheese Crisps

There are great examples of how to make cheese crisps on Linda's Low Carb Recipes & Menus. She posts instructions, along with many pictures. I used the stove top method to make my crisps today but I have had much success in the past using the microwave to make them.

They make a great substitute for breads, rolls or crackers. I can't wait to try them as a taco "shell" for a taco salad.


1 comment:

Daron said...

I was just making cheese crisps last night... and posted them to my blog this morning... It's interesting just how different they come out using different types of cheese.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...