Monday, November 2, 2009

Southwestern Macaroni

Here's a quick meal that can be served in under 45 minutes. I grew up calling this type of dish "chili mac". This is a good recipe for those tweens who want to help out in the kitchen.

Southwestern Macaroni

1 lb ground beef
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped green bell pepper
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 C tomato juice
2 C water
1-1/2 C uncooked elbow macaroni

Instructions

Brown meat, onion and bell pepper in large skillet.

Drain off fat.

Stir in the remaining ingredients.

Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Uncover and add more water is necessary. Cook to desired consistency. Serves 6

** I doubled the recipe to make sure that I had enough leftover for my husband's lunch. I also used 6 C. (one large can) of tomato juice and 2 C. of water to start off with - instead of the 4 C. of tomato juice and 4 C. of water. I ended up adding another cup of water toward the end of cooking.



This recipe comes from Alicia's Recipes.

I'm entering it in the Cooking w/ Alicia and Annie Blog Event for November. Click here for more info on how you can enter this contest! (Nov. entry spot isn't up yet but you can read the directions)

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I love this recipe...when my son was younger, we ate this quite a bit...have you ever put taco seasoning instead of chili powder in it?

Tami said...

When I was making this last night I thought that I could easy sub that. I know that my family would love that, too. It's a versatile recipe that can be changed up by using ground turkey or chicken, taco seasoning, salsa...whatever you have on hand. ;) That's my kind of recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...