Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Greek Souvlaki & Cucumber Salad

Tonight's dinner was a good as I thought it was going to be. I made Greek Souvlaki from Barbara Bakes. The pork was juicy and delicious! Thanks, Barbara, for sharing this recipe!

Souvlaki is small pieces of meat - pork tenderloin in this recipe- on a skewer. The meat is marinated, strung onto a skewer, and then grilled.

Greek Souvlaki

There are just a few ingredients
needed for the marinade:

2 T. olive oil
3 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/2 t. marjoram - I couldn't find marjoram at 2 different stores so I decided to substitute 1 1/2 tsps. lemon-pepper seasoning, 1 tsp. oregano and a 1 tsp. Greek seasoning.
This is all mixed together. I used a gallon-sized plastic bag for convenience. I doubled this marinade recipe.

Next comes the meat:

Chunk 2lbs of pork tenderloin into 2 in. cubes. Add the pork to the marinade. Shake well to cover all of the meat. Refrigerate for 6 hrs - overnight.

String the pork onto the kebab holders being sure not to crowd the meat.


Grill on high heat for 3 minutes on each side.

Delish!


For the side dishes, I served white rice w/gravy and a cucumber, tomato and onion salad (recipe follows).


The cucumber salad side dish that I served with tonight's dinner can be found at Annie's Recipes.


This is a quick and easy dish that can be made ahead of time and stuck into the refrigerator, allowing the flavors to meld. It went well with the Souvlaki.

Cucumber Salad

6 cucumbers peeled, seeded and sliced
2 onions, peeled and sliced
1 ripe tomato, diced small - I added this
1 clove garlic, mashed - I used 1 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1/3 c. sugar - taste after adding 1/4 C. I used just a bit more than 1/4 C. of sugar
1/2 c. chipolte infused oil - I used olive oil & added 2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Instructions
Mix together all ingredients. Toss gently.


This recipe will be entered into this month's Cooking with Alicia & Annie Blog Event.


5 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm so glad you tried and liked the souvlaki. I'll have to give your cucumber salad a try! I planted cucumbers in my garden this year!

Amanda said...

Yum! These look awesome!

Tami said...

I wish that I had the space for a garden. We thought about trying out container gardening but time is getting away from us now. Where does the time go so quickly. I am such a night person. If I could go outside and garden at 2:00 am, that would be awesome!

The pork was a hit with the whole family. I'll be making this again soon.

One thing I forgot in the cucumber salad was that I wanted to add some Feta cheese to mine but I forgot all about it. I will add it the next time, though!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Tami, do you think these would work on the skillet (not on skewers)? This sounds really good.

Tami said...

I'm sure it would cook just fine that way. Just make sure to turn them and keep an eye on them so that they do not burn. The marinade keeps the pork really moist. It's delicious.

If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...