Sunday, April 12, 2009

Berry Dumplings

My husband grew up with his Mom making dumplings in soups, desserts...etc. He was really happy when I told him that I found a recipe for a dumpling dessert.

The original recipe is called "Strawberry Dumplings", made by WendyMichelle at FamilyCorner.com.

I subbed mixed berries instead of using all strawberries. This was my first attempt at making any type of dumpling dessert so my dumplings weren't really pretty. Even so, the dessert was really good! The thought of dumplings cooked this way wasn't appealing to me at first but since I'm usually game for tasting everything that I make, I tried it. Boy was I surprised how much I liked it!


Here's my recipe with a couple of changes:

Berry Dumplings

4 eggs
4 Tbsp. melted butter
4 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. salt
12 Tbsp. flour - I had to add 4 more TBSP of flour to make the batter stiff enough to spoon into the pot.

Combine to make stiff batter to hold shape.

4 cups
strawberries
2 cups sugar - I would only use 1 - 1 /2 C. of sugar the next time.

Mash berries with sugar. Bring to boil in a large pot
with a tight
lid. Drop dumplings into hot liquid, reduce heat and
simmer, with lid on, for 15 minutes. Don't lift lid - don't peek!

Remove dumplings carefully to dessert dishes and spoon berries
over.

A quick and easy dessert for any night of the week!

6 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

I think it looks delicious. I can just imagine the hot berries with vanilla ice cream melting all over it. Yum!

Stephanie said...

oooooh that looks delicious! First thing I thought of was dumping vanilla ice cream on it, too! haha, MMM

Netts Nook said...

Oh Tami this sounds so yummy I made my first dumpings a few week ago they are fun. Can't wait to try.

Amanda said...

Looks wonderful Tami, I've never even heard of that!

Liz said...

Tami , my nana makes dumplings like this back home in NC. Man, do I miss those things. Thanks for posting this, I am going to give them a try. I think hubby and the boys will love it.

Tours in Venice said...

Well this just brings back fantastic memories. My roommates grandmother makes plumb dumplings every year and they are to die for! I would like to make some of these berry dumplings in memory of her annual tradition.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...