Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pumpkin Coffee Cake

Tonight's dessert was supposed to be a regular coffee cake - until I realized that the only instant pudding that I had in the house was pumpkin. Since we all love pumpkin cake, I used it in place of the vanilla pudding that the recipe called for.


The original recipe, Mish's Coffee Cake, comes from Mish @ FamilyCorner.com. The only changes that I made to her recipe was the swapping of instant pumpkin pudding for the instant vanilla pudding and the addition of raisins.

Pumpkin Coffee Cake
1 package yellow cake mix
1 small instant pumpkin pudding
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanillia

Filling
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup nuts
1 C. raisins
4 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix ingredients together for 6-8 mintues at high speed. Grease bundt pan well. Layer cake in thirds with filling between each layer. Bake 40-45 min. at 350 degrees. Cool for 5-8 min. before removing from the pan. Drizzle with glaze if desired.

The cake looked beautiful when it came out of the pan. It is very rich so I would advise tasting it first before covering the whole thing with glaze or icing.




My tips
Use a heavy duty mixer to mix this. I had to transfer the batter to my Kitchen Aid mixer because it was too thick and heavy for my hand mixer.

Spray or grease the pan really well so that the cake does not stick.

Keep the sugar filling in the middle of the batter. Do not allow the sugars to touch the outside or inside of the pan. The sugars can start to burn on the pan before the inside of the cake has finished baking.

Keep a close eye on the cake once it has baked for 40 minutes - do not overbake it. My cake baked for 44 minutes.

I think that you could safely omit the white sugar from the filling for a less sweet cake.

Store in a sealed container to keep it moist.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tami! I really enjoy reading your blog/recipes. The pumpkin coffee cake looks delicious. Will try it next weekend. I only cook sweets on the weekend. lol My husband and I are retired and enjoying it. Thanks, Pat/Texas

Donna-FFW said...

What a great recipe. It looks delicious and sounds terrific!! I am enjoying your blog. I'll have to follow along.

Tami said...

Hi Ladies :)

Thank you for the nicest comments. I'm still nibbling on the cake today. lol!

Thanks for stopping by to say "hi" to me!

Amanda said...

Tami, that looks so good!!

BTW thanks for your suggestions earlier about filling the cupcakes. They are chilling in the fridge right now, letting the frosting set.

Tami said...

You're welcome, Amanda! :) Let me know how your cupcakes turn out. They sound really good!

Unknown said...

Excellent, I have to say I am not sure why we do not see more Bunt cakes. I think they are great. I will have to try this recipe. Coffee and pumpkin cake ,awesome.

Tami said...

Joe, I couldn't agree more!

Thanks for stopping by to say "hi" to me!

Unknown said...

all good Tami, appreciate all your posts and work here..

Talita said...

Gorgeous! Pretty good pics!

Talita said...

Gorgeous! Pretty good pics!

Anonymous said...

yum, i love all things pumpkin! it's so pretty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...