Friday, February 6, 2009

Broccoli Rice Casserole - Cooking with Alicia & Annie Contest

This is my first entry into the Cooking with Alicia & Annie Contest -Feb. edition.

It's a simple side dish made with rice, broccoli and Velveeta cheese. I don't normally have Velveeta on hand but I happen to buy a big box of it for a Superbowl dip, so this dish was a perfect way for me to use up some of the leftovers. I would make this again. This would also travel well if you were in need of a side dish for a party.

You can find the original recipe here.

My version is below. The only thing I did differently was to leave out the onion and celery. To me, it would be out of place in this recipe. Everything else stayed the same. At the end of the cooking time, I stuck the dish under the broiler for two minutes to brown it a bit--this step is optional.

Broccoli Rice Casserole


1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's Cream of Broccoli Soup
1/4 c. milk
1 c. diced pasteurized process cheese spread
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
2 c. cooked rice

Instructions
1. In saucepan, in hot oil, cook celery and onion until
tender-crisp.

2. Combine soup and milk; stir in celery-onion mixture,
cheese, broccoli and rice. Pour into 10x6 inch baking dish.
Sprinkle with paprika.

3. Conventional: Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes or
until hot, or microwave: Microwave on high 10 minutes or
until hot, rotating dish halfway through cooking.

Serves 8.

2 comments:

Mom24 said...

I've made this dish often with cream of celery soup instead of the cream of broccoli. The version I use also calls for Minute Rice (which I hate). I'll be trying this with cooked rice. Thanks.

Tami said...

I used Jasmine rice when I made this. I bet that any type of rice would work as long as it has been cooked first. I was surprised because I thought that the rice might get soggy but it didn't.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...